Iran's Revolutionary Guard threatened Wednesday to extend the conflict with the U.S. and Israel "beyond the region," according to a statement carried by the semiofficial Mehr news agency. The warning came hours after President Donald Trump told lawmakers the war would end "very quickly" and Vice President JD Vance described negotiations as being in a "pretty good" place. The Guard's statement promised "crushing blows" in "places you cannot imagine" if attacks resume.
The Guard's statement, reported by Mehr, marks a sharp rhetorical escalation. "In the event the aggression against Iran is repeated, the regional war that was promised will this time be extended beyond the region," the statement read. It warned of ruin "in places you cannot imagine."
Trump, speaking to reporters after the Guard's warning, struck a different tone. "I'm in no hurry on Iran," he said. "I'd like to see few people killed, as opposed to a lot." He added a blunt assessment: "We have them decimated. Iran is decimated."
The numbers tell the story. The war, which began on February 28, has dragged on for nearly three months. The Trump administration initially projected a four-to-six-week campaign.
That timeline is long gone. Vice President Vance, briefing reporters separately, insisted neither Trump nor Tehran wanted the military campaign to restart. "This is not a forever war. We're going to take care of business and come home," Vance said Tuesday.
He characterized the state of negotiations as "pretty good."
Behind the diplomatic language lies a more volatile reality. Trump told reporters he had been "an hour away" from deciding whether to attack Iran on Tuesday. He was persuaded to postpone the strike.
The president has repeatedly set deadlines for Iran to come to the negotiating table, only to let them pass. His latest ultimatum gave Tehran two or three days — perhaps until Sunday or early next week. That pattern of delayed deadlines has become a defining feature of the conflict.
Each threat raises tensions. Each postponement buys time. But the underlying standoff remains unresolved.
The economic toll extends beyond the battlefield. The Strait of Hormuz, through which roughly 20% of the world's oil and liquefied natural gas typically passes, has seen shipping traffic virtually halt since the war began. Global energy markets have absorbed the disruption, but the longer the strait remains a no-go zone, the greater the risk of price spikes and supply chain fractures.
For working families in the United States, the war's cost is measured at the gas pump and after a potential draft. Recent polls show growing majorities of Americans view the war negatively. The initial rally-around-the-flag effect has faded.
What remains is a public weary of a conflict with no clear endpoint. In Mexico and across Latin America, the war's economic ripple effects are felt in currency markets and trade flows. A prolonged disruption in the Strait of Hormuz pushes up energy costs globally, hitting developing economies hardest.
Families in Mexico City and São Paulo see the impact in higher transportation and food prices. The policy says one thing. The reality says another.
Russia Threatens Latvia With Military Retaliation Over Ukraine Drone Strikes
The Guard's threat to expand the conflict globally introduces a new and dangerous dimension. Previous Iranian rhetoric focused on regional retaliation — strikes against U.S. bases in the Gulf, attacks on Israel, or support for proxy forces in Iraq, Syria, and Yemen. A threat to take the war "beyond the region" suggests potential attacks on U.S. or Israeli interests in Europe, Asia, or the Americas.
Security analysts caution that such threats may be bluster. Iran's conventional military capabilities have been severely degraded by weeks of U.S. strikes. Trump's claim that Iran is "decimated" is not mere hyperbole.
Satellite imagery and Pentagon assessments confirm significant damage to Iranian air defenses, naval assets, and missile production facilities. But Iran retains asymmetric capabilities — cyber warfare units, sleeper cells, and proxy networks — that could strike far from the Middle East. The diplomatic track remains murky.
Trump has alternated between threats of annihilation and offers of negotiation. His Tuesday statement to lawmakers that Washington would end the conflict "very quickly" and that Iran was eager to reach an agreement was undercut hours later by the Guard's belligerent statement. Both sides claim victory.
Here are the numbers: a ceasefire holds, but no formal agreement exists. American forces remain in the region. Iranian centrifuges, according to IAEA reports, continue to spin.
What this actually means for your family depends on what happens in the next week. If Trump follows through on his threat and resumes strikes, oil prices will spike. The Guard has promised global retaliation.
If negotiations produce a framework, the strait could reopen, easing energy costs. If the stalemate persists, the slow bleed continues — a war that is not a war, a peace that is not a peace. The human cost is harder to quantify.
Pentagon casualty reports remain classified, but leaked figures suggest hundreds of American service members have been killed or wounded. Iranian civilian casualties, according to human rights groups, number in the thousands. The war's displaced populations, from Iranian coastal cities to Gulf states, have received little international attention.
Key takeaways: - Iran's Revolutionary Guard threatened to expand the war beyond the Middle East if U.S. attacks resume, according to a statement carried by Mehr news agency. - President Trump said he was "an hour away" from ordering new strikes on Tuesday before being persuaded to delay, and gave Iran days to negotiate. - Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz remains paralyzed, blocking roughly 20% of global oil and LNG transit since February 28. - Vice President Vance described negotiations as in a "pretty good" place, but no formal agreement has been announced. Why It Matters: The Guard's threat to take the war global marks a new phase in the conflict. If credible, it raises the risk of attacks on U.S. or Israeli targets far from the Middle East — potentially including civilian infrastructure, diplomatic facilities, or commercial shipping.
For American families, that means the war is no longer a distant television image. For global energy markets, it means the Strait of Hormuz closure could persist indefinitely, driving up costs for everything from gasoline to fertilizer. A Sinaloa farmer and a Texas truck driver both pay more when oil prices rise.
The war's economic reach now extends to every kitchen table. The coming days will test both sides' willingness to de-escalate. Trump's Sunday deadline looms.
Diplomats from Oman and Switzerland, who have served as intermediaries, continue shuttle diplomacy, according to Reuters. The next 72 hours will determine whether the ceasefire holds or the conflict enters a more dangerous phase. Watch for movement on the Strait of Hormuz.
If shipping resumes, it signals a deal is near. If not, the war's third month may be its bloodiest yet.
Key Takeaways
— - Iran's Revolutionary Guard threatened to expand the war beyond the Middle East if U.S. attacks resume, according to Mehr news agency.
— - President Trump said he was 'an hour away' from ordering new strikes on Tuesday before being persuaded to delay, and gave Iran days to negotiate.
— - Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz remains paralyzed, blocking roughly 20% of global oil and LNG transit since February 28.
— - Vice President Vance described negotiations as in a 'pretty good' place, but no formal agreement has been announced.
Source: CNBC









